Spinal Flex may be done different ways to work the lower back or the upper back areas.
(1) Sit erect on the edge of a chair, with your feet flat on the floor and parallel, and your upper legs straight ahead.
(2) Grab your knees with your hands, keeping your arms straight, and yourself sitting up straight.
(3) Close your eyes and focus between your eyebrows, or focus on a point straight ahead and level to your eyes.
(4) Inhale, and simultaneously rock your pelvis forward, push your sternum forward and up, pull your chin back towards your throat, keeping your chin level, and as you take in air, allow your belly to go out.
(5) Next, exhale, rock you pelvis back, rounding your spine as you go back, and push your naval in towards your spine.
* Repeat these movements for 30 to 60 seconds, using a timer app on your smart phone.
Arm position Note: Keep your arms straight as you make these movements.
On the floor, Spinal Flex may be done in Easy Pose, or Rock Pose, or grabbing the ankles instead of the knees
<- To the left is Rock Pose. Sit on your heels, straighten your spine, and pull your chin in slightly (neck Lock). You may need to ease into this posture slowly and gently by doing complete yoga breathing. Then, with your hands grabbing your knees, repeat steps 4 and 5 above.
-> To the right is easy pose (legs criss-crossed in front of you), Grab your ankles, and repeat steps 4 and 5 above.